Saturday, March 28, 2009

On Pet Sounds and Baby Sounds


Today has been a good day. The organization we work for has a thrift store and yesterday while there I found a mint copy of “The Pet Sounds Sessions” by The Beach Boys for $3.00. Usually it is $63.00. I almost squealed like a little girl right there in the middle of the store. “The Pet Sounds Sessions” is a compilation of different takes and studio recordings that didn’t end up being on the original record. It also has a couple of booklets with information on the recording process. Brian Wilson is brilliant. One of the booklets discusses how “Pet Sounds” was meant to be a very spiritual and healing record. Brian and Carl Wilson would pray during recording sessions. Through lyrically simple, poignant love songs Brian Wilson explores hope, love, God, and feeling lost in this world. Anyhoo today I have been listening to it nonstop and playing with my little pet. Every once in awhile U.B. will look at the speakers, tilting his head in curiosity.
Today has been a much-needed day of rest for Jen and I. This week has been extremely busy. Jen and I have felt like we haven’t had much time to breath. Living with preteen and teenage girls is quite a recipe for drama.
The only negative thing that happened today was this morning when I threw out my back a little when I freaked out at the puppy for pooing on the floor. I kid you not. I had just taken the little bugger out. I didn’t want to kill the pup so I kind of internalized my anger and shook my arms in rage. Now my neck and upper back have been killing me.
We were able to read a bit today, then Jen left with the girls to do some shopping. Now they’re back and the older girls are all watching “Dirty Dancing.” This movie makes me throw up in my mouth a little but it taught me one of the most important lessons of my life. Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
In other news our youngest foster kid has discovered what I call his “awful voice.” He squeals at the exact pitch that makes me want to drill my eardrums out. Then of course I wouldn’t be able to listen to the Beach Boys so I guess I will leave my eardrums intact.

1 comment:

Keith C said...

Gosh, Lucky! You have some mad thrift store hunting skills!

Dogs. You've gotta hate them. (I mean love them...)

Keith