Tuesday, March 31, 2009


Last night my dog peed in front of one of the wealthiest women in the nation. She is an old family friend of our coworker Zach and he brought her to our campus to tell her about the organization and hopefully to receive some kind of donation. She is a very kindhearted woman that gives of her blessings generously. She also brought her rocket scientist boyfriend. Zach brought them to our house so that she could meet one of the foster families "in action." It was of course important to make a good impression. When they came over we had just gotten home. They rang the doorbell just as I was getting our dog out of the kennel. He ran to the door with ample husky energy abounding. As I opened the door the pup ran out to see uncle Zach and almost piddled on his pants. "I'm wearing Dockers stain resistant pants but I don't think that those are the kind of stains that they are talking about," Zach commented. U.B. then waddled to the dirt in front of our porch and let forth a flood of urine. At least he made it outside for the most part. Luckily our guests were all dog people and they loved him to death.
Later in the evening I realized why I love our job. Sometimes it's easy to get frustrated with all the meetings and driving and drama. But last night my job was to give a beautiful little baby boy a bath (you have to love the fresh baby smell), and play with sidewalk chalk with one of our girls. I also attempted hopscotch. After I finished drawing a goofy face on our porch I just sat there enjoying the pink and purple sunset and the mountains that surround us. U.B sat by my feet chewing on a stick. These were holy moments. These are the kind of moments that still convince me that there is a God amidst all the pain in this world. One reason that we came here was to get away from the daily grind and enjoy the life that God has blessed us with. There are elements of this job that are still grind-like; I don’t think that can be avoided with any career. But here we are also blessed with community and relationship. We have already seen lives starting to change for the better and hope in hopeless situations. We’ve only been here a couple months. I look forward to seeing the amazing things that will continue to happen.

3 comments:

Keith C said...

It is just the beginning of an amazing journey. Hold on tight...

Keith

Tracy said...

amen to that!

Anonymous said...

You are doing an awesome job! I'd love to come see how you manage it all, those gorgeous mountains, and of course, U.B. Love, MOM