Wednesday, January 20, 2010

So Close

Well, I am two weeks from my due date (13 days to be exact) and I can't wait. At my appointment two weeks ago, I was told that I am 2cm dilated and 80% effaced. I was hoping that at my appt. last week they would tell me that I have made more progress. However, I was hit with the information that I had made no progress whatsoever (I was told that he is at a minus 2 station), I had gained a pound a day (I attribute this greatly to having a afternoon appt. for the first time and having just eaten lunch), and I was positive for group B strep (which means 3-4 intervals of 30 minute IV meds. once I go into labor and Samuel is going to have to be monitored for 36 - 48 hours). I was not a happy camper when I left the office. I was so disappointed and concerned that I would have to leave my newborn son at the hospital while they discharged me. I quickly called my doctor and asked if that would be the case as I forgot to ask it while in the office. I learned about 2 hours later that I would be staying with him. Praise the Lord!! I am so glad I do not have to leave the hospital empty handed. After that worry was over, I began to do some research on Group B strep and found that it can be fatal to the baby if he contracts it during labor (thus the meds). I have yet to ask if I can still have a water birth despite the need for antibiotics but my assumption is that they will have me in the bed during the antibiotics and then I can chill in the tub (hopefully). I'll find out on Friday as long as my memory reminds me to ask. I quickly perked up and remembered that God has it all under control.

On the upside, we finally received the birthing tub, car seat and diapers. I am so excited. I can't wait to have him. I had a friend explain to me what a contraction felt like as I have no idea and nobody has really explained it in a way I have experienced. Sure enough, as soon as she explained it, I started feeling them. They are not regular and although they have increased at times in intensity it is never consistent. Michael and I had a couple friends visit today and we went on a walk and then a hike. The whole time I was hoping that it would help in either moving this kid on south or begin the laboring process for real. Three hours later and I still had more contractions yesterday than today. I guess I just need to continue walking more. However, my kankles make it very difficult. My toes are so swollen that it hurts at times to walk because they get bent. Michael has been great about rubbing them for me. The other night he told me it felt like he was playing with Playdoh. A fun analogy that I would have to agree with. So, I am trying to guzzle water and keep my feet up as much as possible but that is very difficult with 5 kids and so much around the house to do (plus the nesting instinct has kicked in full blast). Speaking of which, it is time for me to go pick up the kids from the bus stop. Hope our next post has some pictures of our son (if not, at least something interesting :)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

You are so close!! Just hang in there. I can't wait to see pictures of your baby boy. Congrats!!